Slow Cooker Roast Chicken
- 1 whole chicken (1.2-1.5kg)
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt
- Wash your fresh chicken inside and out and place the halved lemon and the onion inside the birds cavilty.
- Rub the paprika all over the bird so it has a nice colour.
- Give it a liberal sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Ball up 6 balls of aluminium foil and place them in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour the water around the aluminium balls.
- Place the bird on top of the foil so it isn’t touching the bottom.
- Place the slow cooker on high for 1 hour and then reduce to low for 8-10 hours. Alternately leave it on high for a total of 5-6 hours.
You can add a cup of white wine instead of the water if you would like the wine flavour through your bird.
I sometimes like to add a few garlic cloves into the cavity as well.