Oven-Baked NZ Hangi
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Pierce the skin or meat of the pork and insert garlic cloves.
- Rub the outside of the pork with oil and salt.
- Place on a rack in a lined baking tray.
- If you have a meat thermometer place this in deepest part of the pork, avoiding the bone.
- Surround the pork with the vegetables.
- On lowest rung in oven place the smoker box.
- Place the pork above the smoker box and bake until thermometer reaches 71°C or juices run clear when pork is pierced (approx. 3 hours).
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving.
If you don’t have a smoker box simply line a baking dish with several layers of foil, then add the woodchips, soil and brown sugar.
A bowl of steamed watercress goes great with Hangi pork.
If the skin is not crisp when pork is cooked, remove the skin and place it under the grill for 5 minutes until crackled.