Boiled Bacon with Cider and Raisin Sauce
Ingredients – Boiled Bacon
- 1kg Boiling bacon, rind and fat removed
- 100g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 100g onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, bay leaf in a muslin bag)
- 4 whole cloves
- 500 ml dry cider
- 500 ml water
Ingredients – Sauce
- 100 g seedless raisins
- 300 ml cooking liquor
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Weigh bacon and calculate cooking time – allow 30 minutes per 500 g plus 30 minutes.
- Place bacon, vegetables, herbs and cloves in deep pan.
- Add cider and water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for calculated cooking time. Add more water if necessary.
- Remove bacon and reserve cooking liquor.
To Make Sauce
- Place seedless raisins, cooking liquor, brown sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blend the cornflour and water, stir into the sauce and simmer a further 3 minutes.
- Serve the bacon sliced with the sauce.