Apple Pork Slow Cook
- 600g 100% New Zealand Pork shoulder chops (2 large -3 medium sized chops)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped into a large dice.
- 2 large cooking apples
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 cups apple cider (or apple juice and 1 tablespoon cider vinegar)
- 3 sage or bay leaves
- Cut the chops in half leaving bone on.
- Heat the oil and brown the pork on both sides and transfer to slow cooker.
- Brown the onions and place on top of pork.
- Peel, core and dice one apple and place on top of onions.
- Leaving peel on, cut remaining apple into 8 slices, quickly brown and add to slow cooker.
- Sprinkle over the raisins.
- Stir mustard into cider and pour over.
- Add leaves, cover with lid and cook on Low for 6-8 hours.
- For stove top cooking using a lidded heavy-based saucepan, bring to the boil and then simmer with lid on lowest heat for 1.5 hours.
Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed green vegetables.
- Spray the inside of slow cooker with cooking spray before adding meat.
- Stir 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard through the mashed potatoes.
- Cooking meat on the bone adds flavour.